Out-of-state Registrations

Please provide the following in order to register your vehicle in New Mexico:

  • your certificate of title;
  • your current certificate of registration from another state;
  • proof of your New Mexico residential address,
  • vehicle ID inspection certificate signed by a full-time law enforcement officer if you cannot drive the vehicle to Rapid MVD. If you can drive the vehicle legally to Rapid MVD, a VIN inspector will perform the vehicle ID inspection for a fee.
  • proof of insurance including policy number and insurance carrier name. You must have a liability policy (or surety bond or cash deposit) with a minimum of $60,000 in coverage: $25,000 coverage for bodily injury to or death of 1 person, $50,000 coverage for bodily injury to or death of 2 or more persons, and $10,000 for property damage in any one accident.

In addition to the above, residents of the Albuquerque metropolitan area (Bernalillo County and parts of adjacent counties) must provide proof that the vehicle has passed an emissions inspection test. These tests are available throughout the county at certified "Air Care" stations. For more information about emissions testing, contact the Vehicle Pollution Management Division, 1500 Broadway NE, Albuquerque, NM 87102; (505) 247-2273. The above list of required documentation applies to the individual who is titling and registering a vehicle already titled in his or her name in another state.

The registration fee for passenger vehicles is based on the weight and year model of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $35.00 to $86.00 for a one (1) year registration or $70.00 to $172.00 for a two (2) year registration. Registration fees for trucks with a DGVW (Declared Gross Vehicle Weight) of 26,000 pounds or less are also based on the weight and model year of the vehicle. Registration fees range from $45.00 to $130.00 for a one (1) year registration or $80.00 to $260.00 for a two (2) year registration for regular trucks with a DGVW of 10,000 or less. Permanent registration is available for utility and travel trailers weighing under 6,000 pounds.

If your vehicle is out-of-state and an emission test is required for New Mexico registration, you must complete the required "Out of State Waiver " and complete all required MVD documents and submit all documents to Albuquerque/Bernalillo County Vehicle Pollution Management Program. They approve the waiver and forward your registration payment and forms to MVD. You must submit your waiver form prior to the 10th of the month to allow for processing time.